Friday, 4 May 2012

A little bit of printing for a rainy day.....


I really wanted to see if my new living room layout, would be easy or stressful to continue making things. I wanted to see if the table was suitable for printing and how easy it was to access all the things i had so neatly put away, whereas before everything just lay out- waiting for use, Studio style.


My tie on print bed fits perfectly, even with the table packed up. (But its best to extend at least one side to perch the inks and tools).


I wanted to test out some screen printing with foil, that i learnt how to use the other day. One of the many advantages of having a textile genius as a friend- you get to learn about all sorts of techniques with insider tips! I decided to print some kids t-shirts as its coming up to that party time of year again.....and while i don't want to bust my balls or my bank balance with efforts making party bags, i also don't want to drop it. It will only be a month before baby brother arrives and i think my little girl needs all the spoiling she can get before the mayhem hits our house.


These were printed up pretty quickly. I didn't really plan them or think about it much- i should have. I'm pretty impatient sometimes and just rush straight into things. Anyway, once id finished around midnight i freaked out a little in my sleepy haze and felt like my red, orange and pink colour way could be perceived a bit gory- a bit like blood! Eek- not what i want to be presenting to toddlers at a party!


The boys lightening strike comes from my super hero cape project of last year but on the white it looks rather 80's trash, so i may dye these later on. 


I took stock, decided to make some new screens. Perfectly sturdy made with a glue and a staple gun. £4.40 for wood at the local hardware store and i have two A4's and an A3 screen. Much cheaper than buying them. Professionals may scoff at my method of making but for small scale home printing, you'd be surprised how easy and simple it can be to get decent enough results with basic methods.


I decided to add another colour raindrop to move away from the possible blood look.


Blue raindrops, as well as one more gold one near the top. (Here you can possibly only see the glue which is screened first, then when its dry you apply the foil with an iron).


The final image. Pah, it will do! Not the best of well thought out design but for an afternoon to evening project, not bad. Though i now realise i have to make a few more as my daughter has more friends than id estimated. Bother, a trip back to John Lewis for their super soft t-shirt tops.

No comments: