Thursday, 15 November 2012

Bedroom curtains



It has been over a year now that I have been repeatedly writing 'make curtains' on my To do lists. Which also means my daughter has gone without curtains, in her rather small and cold room for that long- bad mother. It wasn't a case of not being able to choose fabric but laziness and a sometimes short attention span.
I had previously bought the fabric (an Orla Kiely King size duvet cover which I got new in the sale, still cost me a fortune I thought, even at half price), just needed to get the lining. When I was staying with my Mother a couple of weeks ago she took me to get some fabric, so there really weren't any excuses left. I chose a bonded lining, for warmth and its also a little more light proof as well as having a nice weight. 


First I measured the window and worked out where I wanted the curtains to fall to, 'the drop'. The window frame is different on each side and as the curtain track I put up years ago is the same length, my curtains may look a bit wonky, though hopefully not too noticeably.


Then I tried to lay my fabrics out and pin them together. As our flat is tiny, there was not enough floor space to do this. So I tried to hang it on a line first, to measure it out and then fold and eventually pin it, on the floor. Tricky- this was why I was so hesitant to start work. I knew it would be really fiddly with such a small floor space. Gone are the days of college luxuries, most pattern cutting tables were bigger than the rooms of this flat- sigh!


After a LOT of pinning and re-pinning and a fair bit of hand sewing, I got these made up. From this point it is important to let the curtains hang for a few days before hemming them. This way they should hang much better, especially after the slip stitch hem. I think I made this mistake last time and hemmed immediately.
I've had my neighbours ladder on loan for a week now so I've got to add 'bake cake' to my current list. 


Seeing as its been all about bows recently, I thought id make some big bow tie backs. My daughter loved the idea and seeing as there was a fair bit of excess fabric from the duvet cover it seemed to make sense to complete the look whilst I had matching fabric.


This is the same process as the hair bands I did before. These have lining and an extra layer of wadding.


These are the actual tie backs, I made a tube of fabric and turned it out.


Gathering the tube and adding some decorative tails, the bow was finally put in place on the top.


I worked out the bulk of the curtains and attached press studs to the tie backs to hold them in place. There are not going to be any wall hooks, so these will be held by the bulk of the curtain and just sit in place.


The hems have been hanging for quite a few days. I pinned them about 4 times, its a process of doing one different thing each time you pin them and finally you are ready to sew using a slip stitch and only catching the lining gently and not going right through to the other side.


This is a rather bad photo, I shall try to replace it in due course. The finished look is pretty cute and the tie backs stay up well, no slipping and they are easy to use.


If I were to do these again I may leave off the bow tails as I think maybe they are a little too fussy. I have a tendency to over embellish things if I look at them for too long. But for now, I'm pretty happy with these and my daughter loves them, so I feel I've succeeded with that task. I can finally cross off 'make curtains' and get on with all the many other things that I've been writing and re-writing and constantly transferring from list to list.....or maybe I'll just make another list!

1 comment:

Charmaine said...

Looks amazing, dudette! I love it!